Neil Andrews is the author of ‘The Sekolah’s Cookbook’, a book of recipes created especially for two. Neil sails his Nonsuch 26 Sekolah out of Queen City Yacht Club, Toronto.
Sherried Chicken Livers
Here is our simple recipe for cooking Chicken Livers. Use our recommended ingredients or experiment with what you have available. You can put this simple liver recipe together in just a few minutes – no need to overcook your livers.
Once you have prepared your chicken livers, present them on the base of your choice. We suggest some simple ways to enjoy them such as noodles, toast points or on English muffins, split and toasted.
- 1/2 lb – chicken livers
- 1 tblsp – butter
- 2 tblsp – brandy (optional)
- 2 tblsp – butter
- 1/4 lb – mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tblsp – dry sherry
- 1/2 cup – beef or chicken stock
- 1/2 tblsp – Gravy mix (for example Bisto) mixed with cold water
- Seasoned flour for dredging
Chicken Liver Recipes
1) Remove white parts and stringy bits from livers.
2) Dredge in seasoned flour.
3) Heat sauté pan on medium-high heat.
4) Add 1 tblsp butter and let it get hot.
5) Add chicken livers, prick with a fork to avoid splatters.
6) Cook about 2 minutes each side. Do not overcook.
7) Remove pan from burner, pour brandy over livers and set alight.
8) When flames subside, remove livers from pan and set aside.
9) Melt 2 tblsp butter in pan.
10) Add mushrooms and stir until browned.
11) Return livers to pan.
12) Add sherry and stock.
13) Thicken sauce with Gravy mix
Serve: With noodles, toast points or on English muffins, split and toasted
Do you have a simple recipe to share? Email email@example.com
Share this recipe with your friends