Stan Blanch is kiwi sailor in Auckland New Zealand. He and his wife enjoy their sailing in a fiberglass Hereschoff 30 ft’ yacht.
How To Cook Scallops
Here is a very simple recipe for cooking scallops. If you have some good quality scallops, the secret is to not overcook them! Gather the following ingredients together and you can put this tasty recipe together while the rice cooks.
We like to keep cooking simple and hope that once you have tested this quick easy recipe you will find ways to enhance the recipe and vary it to suit your taste.
20 Sea Scallops, 1 cup of rice, olive oil, garlic cloves, butter, olive oil, lemon or lime (for juicing), flour, salt
A pot for cooking rice (or rice cooker), a small cast iron pan (or similar), serving plate or plates
1) Liberally dust 20 scallops with flour (salted flour if you prefer)
2) Cook 1 cup of rice – we use a portion of Uncle Bens ‘sachet boil in bag rice’ for 18-20 minutes
- Tip – don’t start cooking scallops until rice is nearly ready!
3) Heat some olive oil in small cast iron frying pan
- Tip – don’t make the pan too hot – some Olive Oils have a low ‘smoke’ point
4) Add a few cloves of finely chopped garlic and a nob of butter
5) Stir in scallops – add more olive oil if it looks like they will stick
6) Cook for about 2 minutes. Turning them after one minute. Remove from heat
- Tip – about 2 minutes – not 3 minutes!
7) Squeeze the juice of a lemon or lime over the contents of the pan
8) Place cooked rice onto a plate or several small plates
9) Pour the scallops and juices of the pan over the rice – the rice soaks up the juices
10) It’s that easy – Serve – Eat – Bon appetit!
A cold bottle of oaked chardonnay complements.
Do you have a recipe to share? Email recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this recipe with your friends