Looking for a chance to get away but you don’t have a boat yet? Charter yachts are not the only way to have a great sailing trip – take a look at these Yacht Expedition options. There are many advantages to using an experienced operator:
- Learn as you go sailing
- Make new friends
- See the secret anchorages the sailors know about
- Save money normally wasted on maintaining your own yacht
Here are some of the Sailing Expedition providers we have found online:
Enjoy sailing on a 62′ Bluewater Catamaran with Captain Richard Johnson and his Mate Jessica Rice Johnson
- Elcie is heading through the Pacific during 2013 with various sections of the trip open for guests
Mahina offers offshore sail training expeditions for everyone and will help you gain the offshore experience that will give you the confidence to get to the next level in your sailing.
- Your hosts John and Amanda have a combined experience of over 564,000 and 71 years of sailing
- Mahina Tiarre III is a 46′ Halberg Rassy with four separate cabins
- Expeditions are based in the South Pacific and it is recommended that you book your place well in advance
ECoSwiss – Europe Conservation Switzerland
ECoSwiss is a Swiss non-profit association for biodiversity research and nature conservation in Myanmar. The Mergui Archipelago is composed by 800 islands almost untouched by the tourism industry. Due to the political situation of Burma, the entire area has remained inaccessible to foreign visitors over the past 50 years. This resulted in preservation of the islands and they are still covered by primary tropical forests and surrounded by healthy coral reef. Here is some of what you can do as part of their Mergui Archipelago Biodiversity Research (MABR):
- Expeditions: help our biologists in the research activities such as coral reef surveys, shore and inland mapping, data collection on fauna and flora, etc.
- Awareness cruises: live a wonderful relaxing adventure by sailing through the islands and learn about their history, eco-system and threats
- Charter the boat: when the catamaran is not busy, you can charter SeaNomad and build with us your own bespoke itinerary and sail wherever your dreams take you
- For more detailed information read our article on ECoSwiss – click here to read the article
ECoSwiss is a non-profit organisation and not a business. 100% of contributions collected from expeditions, cruises and charters are used to fund the research and conservation efforts of MABR
Xplore is an expedition yacht designed to explore the high latitudes. After spending the end of 2012 and the start of 2013 in Tierra del Fuego they continue on to Antarctica in February 2013 and on to French Polynesia after this.
- Australian Stephen Wilkins leads the expeditions and offers over 350,000 miles of sailing experience
- Plenty of other activities are available such as Mountain climbing, Diving and Kayaking
- Capable of supporting scientific research projects
by David Anderson