Here is one of Sandy Cheevers’ great recipes for Holiday entertaining. The ingredients for cheese in a ball are easy to store on a boat, or you can make it up at home ahead of time and transfer to the boat in a cooler to use that day or the next, if kept refrigerated.
Cheese in a Ball
- 1 can of flakes of ham
- I use ham, but you can use salmon, crab etc
- 250grams of softened cream cheese
- it’s better if you buy the soft kind, but if not you can always soften the block in the microwave on defrost
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of horseradish
Cheese in a Ball recipe
1) Blend the ham and the cheese together.
2) Add your lemon juice and horseradish and blend them into the mixture
- Take your spatula and work the mixture into a large ball.
3) Refrigerate and when you go to take it out of the bowl, it should be solid enough to lift with your spatula to put on a plate.
There are many occasions where you can put together this quick recipe. For example, when friends are coming over for a quick visit on short notice. Other times may be when your planning a late dinner and just need something to tide everyone over for a couple of hours. The advantage of this cheese in a ball recipe is that you will often have the ingredients on hand anyhow and all you need to do is pop it all together.
If you are looking for some other cooking recipes for using at home or aboard your yacht, try looking up this great book by Sheryl Shard of Distant Shores TV – A Guide to Outfitting and Provisioning for Cruising
Share this Cheese in a ball recipe with a friend